ERBIL, Kurdistan Region - The head of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council on Saturday warned neighboring countries against cooperating with Washington’s latest push to further squeeze Tehran’s economy through fresh sanctions.
“If the blockade continues, we will not allow a single drop of Persian Gulf oil to leave via any route; furthermore, while we have not yet attacked US economic interests, that option remains available to us should the hostile actions persist,” Mohsen Rezai told state broadcaster IRIB in an interview late Saturday.
Rezai’s remarks came after US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said on Thursday that Washington would impose "the toughest sanctions in history" on Iran.
Bessent 's announcement came a day after US President Donald Trump declared "Economic Warfare" against Iran and warned of economic consequences for any country that provides "any type of lifeline to Iran," with the new sanctions set to be unveiled on Monday.
The United States and Israel launched an aerial offensive against Iran in late February, triggering a global economic crisis after Tehran closed the Strait of Hormuz, through which about a fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas (LNG) supplies passed before the war.
The United States later imposed a naval blockade on Iran, targeting vessels linked to Tehran in the waterway.
Rezai said on Saturday that the strait would not be reopened “until America changes its behavior and fulfills its obligations.”
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has described the US sanctions as "economic terrorism.”
Among the countries US reportedly expects to join the push is the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Earlier this month, the UAE announced that it had halted all trade, commercial exchanges and financial transactions with Iran amid escalating regional tensions.


