ERBIL, Kurdistan Region - Two attack drones launched from Iran targeted the office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the residence of the head of the Region’s security agency in Erbil province’s Pirmam district early Monday, Kurdish counterterrorism forces said. No casualties were reported.
The Directorate General of Counter Terrorism (CTD), which is affiliated with the Kurdistan Region Security Council (KRSC), said in a statement that “two explosive drones of the Hadid-110 type were launched from the Iranian side of the border toward the headquarters of the Kurdistan Region Prime Minister’s private office and the residence of the director of the Security Council in Erbil province’s Pirmam district. Fortunately, the attack caused no casualties.”
The CTD condemned the overnight attacks, deeming it “completely unacceptable.” It also warned that “those responsible for carrying them out bear full responsibility for the consequences.”
Prime Minister Barzani said on X that he condemns the “reckless and unacceptable attacks in the strongest terms. This is a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the Kurdistan Region.”
He also said that the attacks “will not deter us from carrying out our duties and protecting our citizens.”
The attacks come days after Barzani told Al Jazeera that Erbil does not want to become involved in the US-Iran war, describing attacks on the Kurdistan Region by Iran and its proxies in Iraq as “unjustified.”
He said the Region had been attacked by Tehran and Iraqi militia groups more than 1,000 times. The attacks have killed 32 people and wounded 154, according to Rudaw tracking.
Monday’s attacks also come a day after US news outlet Axios reported that Washington had turned to Kurdistan Region President Nechirvan Barzani earlier this year to serve as a diplomatic contact point with Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).
Kurdistan Region officials have repeatedly said the Region is not a party to the conflict and have called for an end to attacks on its territory.
Iran has not commented on the Monday attacks.
Updated at 11:35 am


.png&w=3840&q=75)
